top of page

Support Kelly staying safe & well

Public·10 members
Gabriel Gomez
Gabriel Gomez

One Dough, Ten Breads: Making Great Bread By Hand

For anyone who's ever wanted to bake homemade bread but doesn't know where to begin, Sarah Black demonstrates that with just a few ingredients, one's own two hands, and the right recipes, even a novice baker is well on the way to making artisan-style breads. Starting with the simplest "plain white" dough, Black makes small changes to ingredients, proportions, and shapes to show how anything from baguettes or sourdough to ciabatta or even whole-wheat pain de campagne can be made using ten "foundation" breads. Luscious color photos complement the clear step-by-step instructions, and additional recipes build on this foundation to create a profusion of sandwich loaves, rustic country-style breads, dinner rolls, pizza and focaccia.

One Dough, Ten Breads: Making Great Bread by Hand

Download Zip: https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Ftweeat.com%2F2uets3&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw11DBAAt_OgERfZBK3Awg_t

Mastering bread : the art and practice of handmade sourdough, yeast bread, and pastry / Marc Vetri and Claire Kopp McWilliams with David Joachim ; photography by Ed AndersonFrom a master of the artisan bread movement comes a comprehensive guide to making incredible bread at home, featuring more than 80 delicious recipes.

Bread comes to life : a garden of wheat and a loaf to eat / by George Levenson ; photography by Shmuel ThalerAn explanation in rhyme of how bread is made, including growing a crop of wheat, threshing, making dough and baking.

For 25 years, Sarah Black has spent every day devoted to baking bread. She loves working with her hands, and she's perfected the art of coaxing water, flour, yeast and salt into some of the best breads in the country.

From water temperature and how dough should feel to using fermentation for flavor, Black helps wrangle the intuitive elements of bread-making to create an approachable set of recipes. Building skills with 10 "foundation" breads, she imparts confidence to bakers in mastering the tricks behind perfect baguettes, focaccia and ciabatta before taking on pumpernickel, Italian semolina bread, fougasse, dinner rolls and breadsticks.

The breads I was making when I started, like focaccia and ciabatta, they were also watery. To me they were very familiar for that reason. Holding the sheet of paper to the light is exactly how we do the windowpane test for bread to see if it has been kneaded, mixed or folded to the proper degree. That was fun for me to realize.

There are absolute tips you can look for, like the smoothness of the dough, and the way the dough reflects light helps to tell you if the gluten sheets have been properly formed. You want to handle dough gently.

"Focaccia can be the canvas for any variety of toppings, flavors and textures," writes Sarah Black in "One Dough, Ten Breads." "My favorites are the ingredients that are simple enough to enhance the flavor of the bread, like a good olive oil and a handful of fresh herbs tossed with a little crunchy coarse salt.

Thank you for this great recipe.I tried making a substitution and I have a question for you. My son has a few allergies among which wheat, so I tried making it with a gluten free flour mix. It is supposed to be 1:1 ratio but the dough came out very dense and not stretchy. It actually almost breaks if you pull it. When it bakes, it is crunchy on the outside but feels not fully cooked inside if that makes any sense. Do you think I could use more water or more oil or both? Any suggestions on how to improve it?Thank you!Malak

When you make bread by hand, kneading and shaping it lets you can get a good feel for the dough and its elasticity. If it seems too sticky, leaving it for 10 minutes after mixing can help. Remember, you will get better as time goes on.

For best results when making this easy gluten free bread recipe, please don't use a warm oven for proofing. Instead, choose a naturally warm, draft free spot and let the yeast do its thing. And keep in mind that, if your environment seems quite cool (but isn't truly cold), your yeast bread will still rise, just more slowly.

Dense bread can be a result of your bread not proofing for long enough, or the yeast dying off if, for example, you proofed it in a hot oven. It may also be because you didn't mix the ingredients together well enough in a stand mixer, tried to use a handheld mixer to make the dough, or tried to make it by hand.

Part of the wonder of baking bread, whether you are making sourdough, sandwich bread, or even bagel bread, is how many changes in the dough happen without the cook even touching it. It must have seemed like magic to early bakers to watch bread rise and expand of its own accord. But there is one major mechanical step that allows this magic to happen: kneading. We'll show you how to knead dough, step-by-step.

What an awesome recipe, I always fail at making any kind of breads but this is simply Devine , so simple and ooooh so so tasty. I made 4 smaller baguettes and it was perfect . Had 1 straight from the oven with some goats cheese and honey drizzle

Sorry Anon I didn't catch the comment about the dough consistency earlier. The dough is a wet dough. After it finishes rising, and you are ready to turn it out onto the floured surface to shape, you may add a little more flour so it is easier to handle. I would try about a 1/4 cup at a time. The consistency of the dough will depend on your climate, elevation etc. One of the keys to making bread or rolls that are easy to handle is not adding too much flour before rolling out or shaping! How did it turn out?

I made this bread to go with our dinner the other night and it was a hit!! I loved how it turned out and I will definitely be making this again. Usually the crust is too hard for me with typical recipes, but this light buttery crust was perfect and not too hard to bite into.

This is the easiest bread recipe ever. You will feel like a true artisan after making this bread and then you will NEVER buy it from the store again! I make this probably twice a week. My kids love it as an afternoon snack. Easy to follow, and like the recipe name: it truly is a. NO FAIL

Thank you for an easy to follow, delicious recipe! My first time making French bread and it gave me a lot of confidence. I will cook it a few minutes longer next time (I did 15 minutes on 375 convection), which will likely be later this week!

I was in need of French bread with French onion soup my wife was making. I saw your recipe and gave it a shot. It was very easy and the bread turned out wonderful. Very soft and tasty. My wife looked at the two loaves and said she Would have to freeze it because there was too much. Well, it was all gone the next day. The family loved it.

I love this recipe! The texture of the bread is perfect! You are absolutely right about it making wonderful French Toast! We usually one loaf with dinner and use the second loaf a few days later for breakfast!

This really is the best and easiest bread recipe! I make it often. The other day my husbands daughter said that she used it for making cinnamon rolls and they were amazing!! I made them right away and they were so yummy! I followed the instructions as written until it was time to make into 2 loaves. Instead i made them into 2 rectangles. Approx 10 x 15. Then spread 1/2 stick of butter on each, 1/2 cup of sugar and 3T of cinnamon. I rolled them and then sliced. I did the second rise and baked for approx 25 min. They were amazing and easy!

Jo,Each standard packet of yeast is about 2 1/4 teaspoons. Yes, you can freeze this dough. Follow directions for making dough and shape the dough, then before it rises for the last time on the baking sheet freeze. When ready to bake, take out of freezer at least 4 hours before baking. Lat thaw, rise and bake as directed. Hope this helps!Si

This was an easy to follow recipe. My bread did not turn out as pretty as yours but it tasted great. I made one large loaf and several small loaves. This was my first time making bread from scratch. Thanks for the recipe.

Well done! I made this recipe with 2 parts bread flour 1 part whole wheat flour. It turned out fluffy and amazing. A quick note, I am too lazy to do repeat punch down and rise cycles on the dough, so I let it rest for an hour, punched down and formed the rolls, then let them rise for a half an hour. Also, I used a touch less sugar. The end result was fantastic. Thank you for this! -A

I just finished making this bread! It is my first time making bread in my life, I messed up a couple of steps, and it STILL worked out great! Started the recipe before reading it all first (my bad!) So only had AP flour on hand. Accidently mixed all the flour first instead of adding in the second half after the yeast. Still was great! Will definitely use this recipe again!

I have been making this bread for over 2 years and have never had a bad loaf! If you have any leftover, it makes the most delicious French toast or use it to make an oven French toast with praline topping!

Hey Tina, I have experimented with this recipe over the years and found I like the texture better when using bread flour, or a combination of bread and all-purpose flour. Currently I use bread flour (about 5 1/2 cups total) in this recipe. If you do not have bread flour on hand, all-purpose works as well!

In her new book One Dough, Ten Breads, Sarah Black starts at the very beginning: just get your hands in the dough. "The senses all leave an imprint and allow for an easier understanding of the sometimes complex science of bread making," she advises. Not to mention kneading dough is great for stress relief.

My hands were trained in making paper before they were trained in making bread. That training was one advantage I had in learning the hand skills of baking, and the beginning of the story of how I became a bread baker.

I was apprehensive about making this as I am not very good in making bread. But this is so easy and turns out so well!! I am so proud of myself. Thank you so much for the recipe and such detailed instruction, I really appreciate it. This recipe is a keeper!! 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page